1. HTML – Having a good understanding of HTML, XHTML etc is fundamental in Website Design, and almost becomes second nature to more experienced Website Design professionals. Although this is regarded as the easiest of web technologies, it almost becomes the most essential.
2. CSS – Ability to represent your design using as CSS wherever possible will reduce your overall file sizes and loading times, and will certainly increase performance in search engines. Being able to manipulate CSS, to a degree where you can create completely cross browser compatible pages from any design file is certainly one of the most valuable skills in the industry.
3. GRAPHIC DESIGN – If you are working as a freelance web designer then your graphic design skills will come into play much more than if your responsibility in a larger organisation means that you are just working as a developer for example. Graphic design comes in at number 3, as these days, having both sides to the coin is not only becoming advantageous, but more essential.
4. JQUERY – With the ability to interact with the server on the fly. For a while now, we have seen on larger corporate sites, the introduction of what appear to mainly be usability improvements, and slick CSS transitions and effects. A nice example as we see demonstrated very well on the Apple site, is the search functionality, where initiates a database connection on the fly, and brings back in real time, a refined search for every additional character that is typed.
5. PHP – Regarded as the Internet’s number one choice for server-side languages, its open source benefits come right out on top again. PHP is used widely throughout the internet from simple functions for using dynamic dates, and including template files right through to complete object oriented application development.
6. CSS preprocessor –Knowledge of a CSS preprocessor is crucial in modern web environments, we recommend SASS.
7. SEO – Search Engine Optimisation is the Website Design profitability holy grail. With powerful SEO, websites can gain exposure to the target audiences and out perform those that don’t. It is virtually useless to create a beautifully designed, user friendly website with the very latest in web technologies, if no body is going to be able to find it. If your websites business model is to generate leads, enquiries or sales from the web, then you’ll soon find, that prowess in this field is worth two in the bush!
8. SERVER ADMINISTRATION – There are certainly many areas of web design that are not glamorous, but equally as important if you are to maintain a high level of service. Administering Domains, Hosting, Emails, servers, backups etc is essential for smooth website running.
9. PROJECT MANAGEMENT – When running or working for a web company, although not necessarily related to website design, but more good business practice in general, being able to manage the project to the constraints of time, budget and resources, could be the difference between a successful project with on going support, maintenance and future developments and a disappointed client that looks elsewhere for future Website Design
10. MYSQL – Open source technologies on the web have so far dominated when it comes to all round uptakes. Web designers of all levels can use MySQL technology freely within the Website Design. With the bulk of web applications using MySQL along with PHP, it’s no surprise that having this skill set can certainly be valuable in this day and age.